Still Using 'Warty' - did a total Synaptic Update and PFFFTTT!!!

Mike Drabik drabikmr at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 02:37:38 UTC 2006

Hello:

That's right I'm still using 'Warty' - guess I'm just sentimental.

Anyway - I did a Synaptic update a few days ago and now have this  problem:

Warty works OK while I am using it, but if I leave it idle for a few hours (and I'm one of those persons who leaves a computer on 'forever') and go back to it NOTHING works. I can click from now until kingdom come and not event a Terminal Window will open. And further I can't even properly log out - I have to shut the PC down by pulling the plug.

Yep Warty appears to have gone "PFFFT!" on me -- unless I want to automate the keyboard to keep Warty active.

The reboot/restart messages flash by too quickly to see what happening and I don't know what to look for anyway. But it does successfully restart - everytime this happens.

And I know there's no 'restore' function to simply click-reboot and back out whatever I did (yes, I know this isn't Windows!).

So fellow Ubuntu users:

- shall I try to figger this out (with your expert help) or

- toss in the towel and just wipe the drive and I simply install Breezy?

I still got all my data and can back it up - no prob!

The PC itself has a 2.5 GHZ CPU., 500 MB DDR RAM, 60 GB RAM - only a year old - so  I'm well within specs for Breezy.

So, whatja think I should do?

Thanks!

Mike