Postfix on LAN

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 21 21:36:57 UTC 2006

I have configured Postfix on several computers on my LAN to handle mail on
each of these machines (user, postmaster, root), as well as sending mail
to the SMTP server at my Internet ISP -- using generic and transport
files. So far, so good.

Now I wonder if I could also use Postfix to send/receive mail between
users at the various computers on my LAN. I have already tried adding
those computers to the /etc/postfix/transport file, like so on my desktop
computer:

laptop       smtp:[192.168.1.65]

where "laptop" is a name in /etc/hosts for its local IP 192.168.1.65. On
laptop I have added 192.168.1.0/8 to the mynetworks parameter in
/etc/postfix/main.cf. Any mail sent from my desktop to the laptop is not
forwarded to the laptop, however, but sits in the mailq forever.

Clearly, I'm missing something here... does anybody have any idea?

--
H.A.J. Koster
"Behavioral axioms are right, but agents make mistakes..."