Quick Tips on how to use "Screen"?

Phil Hagelberg lists at hagelb.org
Tue Feb 21 17:50:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 02:53 +0000, chip piller wrote:
> The way I use it is simple: start a terminal window, type 'screen' at the
> command line, then start some process/work.  Then detach from the screen session
> by simultaneously holding down the ctrl and A keys, followed by the d key.  To
> reattach to the screen session you get a terminal window on the machine, either
> locally or through ssh, and type 'screen -r'.

I would recommend remapping the screen control key. It defaults to
Ctrl-A, so if you leave it at that, you won't be able to use Ctrl-A for
what it was intended to do, which is go to the beginning of a line.
(This is in apps that use GNU readline, which is quite a few.) I have
mine remapped to Ctrl-T. (which means I can't transpose characters in
readline programs, a small loss) To remap it, add this line to
your .screenrc file: escape ^Tt

I'd recommend switching before you get used to Ctrl-A...

Another nifty trick is reattaching screens that are already attached.
You can do this by running 'screen -x'. This is useful if you want to
share your screen with somebody else (pair programming, anyone?) or
attach to a screen you forgot to detach.

Screen is loads of fun.

-Phil