[Dapper] Xgl : doesn't use H/W rendering ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Feb 21 08:47:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:12 +1100, Adam Conrad wrote:
> You do have linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` installed, right?
> Without the kernel module to go with the nvidia server driver, you won't
> get DRI.

Yeah, actually it was already installed by default apparently.

> It's also entirely possible that the legacy driver is just finally
> starting to show its age and isn't quite behaving with newer kernels and
> X versions (I'll test this locally when I have a chance)... If that's
> the case, all you can hope to do is complain to nvidia for a new -legacy
> release. :/

Bah, I won't bother e-mailing Nvidia, I know it's hopeless :-)
I don't really need 3D anyway (I use a 2D card for normal work).
I was only curious to give Xgl/Compiz a quick test, so I thought I would
re-activate the on-board Geforce. But if it doesn't work hey, I will
just leave it alone. I do plan to buy a 3D card someday, but I am in no
hurry, so I am patiently waiting for the "opengraphics" project to
release their first Linux friendly card. Should be in 12 months or so,
according to their plan, all being well. This way it should work :-)

--
Vince