Can't mount my SATA drive

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Mon Feb 20 22:27:32 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> er, now it's working. I was away for a while so I rebooted. I had been
> issuing
>
> $ sudo umount -a
>
> then
>
> $sudo mount -a
>
> I made sure I didn't have anything open from the dir in question. Oh
> well. It works, thanks for the help. Next time I'll stick to reboot to
> be safe.
>
> Thanks - Duncan

Happy to see that you have everything running OK now.

But umount -a unmounts _everything_ in /etc/mtab.  If you use 'mount
/dev/sda1', then mount will check fstab to see where it goes.  And if
you have the 'user' option is fstab (which you do), then you don't need
sudo.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that you have it working.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams