Can't mount my SATA drive

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Mon Feb 20 20:08:45 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> It's meant to be shared between two users, so I've got owner:root
> group:users users has rwx permissions and I've added us both (and root)
> to the users group. But I still can't do anything as a simple user.
>
> :-( it should be so easy. Duncan

Hmmm, your user in this case is root.  So giving root all the
permissions will not help the group 'users' to access the partition.
The permissions are listed as drwxrwxrwx.  To break that out a bit,
d - rwx - rwx - rwx
The d signifies a directory,
First group of rwx is for owner (user) of the file (dir).
Second is for group (users).
Third is for everybody else.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm still not sure what permissions you
have on this drive.

Have a read of this:
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugfilesp.html
for a good explanation of file and directory permisions.

Short answer is to add read and write permissions for the group users.
'sudo chmod 660 directory' or 770 if you want it to be executable.  Is
this what you have done?

If this doesn't solve your problem, please cd to the directory above the
drive and post the results of 'ls -l' so I can see what you have for
permissions.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams