Can't mount my SATA drive

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Mon Feb 20 19:17:10 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> I've got it to automount but still can't write to it as a user, what am
> I doing wrong?
>
> Here's the lines:
> # SATA drive(s) (sda)
> /dev/sda1	/media/storage	ext3	defaults,user,rw 0	0
>
> Duncan

Check the permissions and ownership of the directory it is mounted in
and of the directories within it (if any).  Is it a new drive or does it
have data already on it?  If it's not new, you should ensure that the
subdirs are owned by USER:USER (or duncan:duncan).  You can use 'sudo
chown USER:USER directory' for this.

If you don't want anyone to have access to this drive, you could instead
mount it somewhere in your home directory.

HTH,
Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams