Package maintainer responsibilities

Bjørn Haagensen bh at cs.aau.dk
Wed Feb 15 17:33:17 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was wondering about the requirement on package maintainers. I've had
some problems with a package in Dapper universe. X is listed as a
maintainer, so I wrote X an email explaining my issues. It turns out X
is not maintaining Ubuntu, but rather Debian packages.

Why is X then listed as maintainer? If the package is simply "stolen"
from Debian, I think the least one should do is remove any reference to
the original maintainer.

How can I then report the problem (it's package related, not the app
itself)? I can email some ubuntu-list or post in some forum. But in such
often high-volume contexts, how can I be sure the report will be read by
the relevant persons. I'm not happy about spending alot of time
authoring a detailed report if I'm not sure it's going to be read by
relevant people.

I realize it's a universe package, and such problems can often be solved
by installing manually. But that sort of removes my reasons for using
ubuntu over any other dist.

Sorry about the long mail. It's an issue for me, but could be caused by
lack of understanding from my side. I'm greatful for any responds which
could enlighten me on this topic.

Regards Bjørn