MODEM INSTALLATION PROBLEM

mandcfalk at att.net mandcfalk at att.net
Wed Feb 1 16:38:24 UTC 2006

Running 5.10, and trying to follow "HowTo" instructions to install drivers, etc.
Did download a copy of scanModem onto a CD with a Windows box, but 5.10 doesn't see the files on the CD.
Browsing the Computer tells me that it's a SmartLink modem even without using scanModem, but trying to follow the directions and looking to see if needed "packages" build-essential, etc.) are on the hd, most of the time I get responses telling me that it can't "gethostname ()" or something like that.
   Also, everything that I'm able to read seems kinda "circular"...download this or that...but HOW to do that if I can't get the modem to DO anything ;-)

Any help will be appreciated.
Mischa