CUPS system setup

Richard R (Dick) Rutledge r3dick at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 07:55:52 UTC 2006

hello,

    I am haveing a few problems with printing.  I am trying to set up
cupsys thru port 631 on a system with a remote hp5m using my local net.
Some jobs print just fine and others give me a message saying my
firmware level in the hp is one level behind.  hp is 2014.108 and
requires 2015.  What I don't understand is why OO 2.0 works fine as well
as some other programs but firefox and pdf programs fail with the error
message.  In the message it says to put in lpr options which I did to no
avail.  I can not get pass the required cups passwd when using the
browser and port 631.  I have looked at faqs and howto's and have a
sense that the answer is simple but I cannot see the forest thru the
trees.  Can someone please shed some light in this for me.  Thanks in
advance for any and all help.

Dick Rutledge