Few questions before I try to install Ubuntu

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sun Feb 19 17:59:48 UTC 2006

Boyan R. schrieb am 19.02.2006 17:23:
> My 160 Gb HD is divided in 6 partitions. First four are occupied,
> but fifth (5 Gb) and sixth (2.7 Gb) are free (currently both in fat32).

This is together 7,7GB.
As long i use Ubuntu my swap was used max. 10MB if even that.
(384MB RAM).
Swap comes in handy if you are going to try s.th. like suspend to disk
or if you are forced t boot from a Live-CD.

What i strongly would suggest is to create a partiontion for your /home.
This way your private settings are save even if you have to
repair/reinstall for what ever reason.

So if it were me I would go for this layout:

/ 	4GB	  -i have used 3115MB used with also Kubuntu installed +
		   you will need space for the downloaded packages
swap 	521MB
/home	2,2GB
vfat	1GB(rest) -to easly exchange Data with your other OS?es (win)

> I want to install Ubuntu on this 5 Gb partition. Should I manually format
> it into linux format, and create swap partition (I have 512 Mb Ram) ?
> So, basicely, should I split it to 4 Gb + 1 Gb swap manually, or when I
> start installing Ubuntu (latest release) it will do that automaticly for me
> ?

Yes during installation you will be prompted to set your partiontion
layout. There you can it very easly all together.

BUT!!!
I suggest to partion your self, there is also an automated way (which
will blow out your whole harddisk probably).

> Also, can Ubuntu fit on my 2.7 Gb partition ? (1.7 Gb + 1 Gb swap I guess)
> I just want to see how it looks and works (for the start)
>
> If I MUST create swap partition manually, should I make it exactly 1024 Mb,
> or is it better to make it little larger (just in case) ?
>
> Currently I have WinXP on my first and second partition.
> What boot manager uses Ubuntu, Grub, Lilo or something third ?

Ubntu uses Grub.

> I guess there is no risk of losing my current boot menu ?

The biggest danger during installation is to be unobservant and make a
mistake during partitioning.
This is what had happend to me.
Appart from that, the tools worked good.

> Sorry about this idiotic questions,

No prob.  :)
I get used to learn during makeing mistakes (the hard way).
I guess your way is the better way.

> I hope somebody will find some time to answer me :(

bye Thilo

- --
i am on Ubuntu 2.6 KDE
- - some friend of mine