How to compile Ubuntu packages (patching?) ???

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Feb 19 01:42:26 UTC 2006

I am trying to compile the package "gqview" (a simple image viewer), and
failed.
The problem is that although it's a Gnome program, it doesn't use Gnome
icons where it should, which breaks desktop consistency. So I thought,
it must come with its own icons, just need to find them and replace them
by hand. But I looked in Synaptic for the list of files installed for
gqview, and there are no icons anywhere ! So I thought, they must be
somehow hard-coded. So I grabbed the source code like this:

$apt-get source gqview

This gave me two things, as far as I understand it anyway:

- The original gqview source code

- A diff file that makes Ubuntu specific changes to gqview.

In the source code, I was pleased to find all the nasty icons. So I
replaced them with their correct Gnome counter part.
Since only the contents of the icons changed, not their file name or
anything, I thought it would compile without problems.
But no.

So I am thinking that maybe the Ubuntu diff file (it's big and contains
lots of stuff), might be mandatory. I am hoping that if I patch gqview
with it, it will eventually compile.

Problem: how the hell do I apply that patch/diff file ???!

If anyone in the know could download the source code as I did, and try
it for real and give me directions (probably just a one line
command...), I would be so happy :-)

Regards,

--
Vince