Bitmap fonts don't appear in the font chooser dialog

gamehack gamehack at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 12:55:21 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've been struggling with this issue for a few days now. Basically I'm using
bitmap fonts on windows with gvim because they look better and are better
suited for programming - anti-aliased font hurt my eyes after 5-6 hours. So
I tried installing the fonts on Ubuntu but apparently they don't show up in
the font chooser dialog. I've created a new font directory, gzipped the .pcf
fonts(CodingFontTobi1.pcf and OptiSmall.pcf from
http://www.proggyfonts.com/index.php?menu=download) added them to the
directory, run mkfontdir . in the dir, then run dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig
to enable bitmap fonts and then dpkg-reconfigure defoma(I also added the new
font dir in the xorg.conf file). After doing this I restarted the x server
and opened a console. Then I tried to see whether the fonts were installed
with this command:
xlsfonts | grep opti
And it returned this:
-windows-proggyoptis-medium-r-normal--0-0-96-96-c-0-iso8859-1
-windows-proggyoptis-medium-r-normal--10-80-96-96-c-60-iso8859-1
So it seems that they're installed. But then if I try to select them from
gvim they don't appear in the list at all. If I just select them using set
gfn=-windows-proggyoptis-medium-r-normal--10-80-96-96-c-60-iso8859-1
complete rubbish is displayed. Any help on how to resolve this issue is
greatly appreciated. Thanks

Homepage: http://www.1nsp1r3d.co.uk/
ICQ: 230197935