GNOME is not saving my settings.

David A. Cobb superbiskit at cox.net
Sat Feb 18 00:48:00 UTC 2006

Running Hoary, kernel-2.6.10-5-386, Gnome 2.10.0

A recent problem resulted in Gnome-Session hanging up after loading
Nautilus.  Errors indicated "could not connect to gconf server."  Not
having any better idea, I removed the ".gconf" and ".gnome2" and
".nautilus" directories, forcing Gnome (I thought) to recreate things as
though this was my first login.

That worked -- I could now complete the login, and I could rebuild my
desktop the way I wanted it.
HOWEVER, now Gnome doesn't save and restore my settings.  Every restart
is from scratch.

Could someone please suggest where I should look for this problem?

TIA

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.