The case of the missing floppy

David A. Cobb superbiskit at cox.net
Sat Feb 18 00:41:08 UTC 2006

Running Hoary, 2.6.10-5-386
Since a couple of weeks back, it became impossible to pmount the floppy
drive.  I tore everything out and built it up again, and it's still the
same.

Then I noticed the following in DMESG:

input: PC Speaker
inserting floppy driver for 2.6.10-5-386
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
reset set in interrupt, calling d08f6699
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected NVIDIA nForce2 chipset

At first glance, "no floppy controllers found" indicates a probable
hardware problem.
Unless the "reset set in interrupt" message is relevant.

Can someone confirm that this his hardware, or point me to the likely
problematical software?

TIA

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.