dspam and mysql under dapper

Norman Walsh ndw at nwalsh.com
Fri Feb 17 21:33:28 UTC 2006

This morning I decided to be brave (or crazy :-) and upgrade my breezy
install to dapper. It was really remarkably uneventful, I've just got
a couple of rough edges to sort out.

One is that dspam (3.4.9 built by me some months ago) can no longer
connect to mysql when I reboot the machine. The problem appears to be
permissions related. On boot, /var/run/mysqld is owned by mysql and in
the root group with 770 permissions. That means that dspam can't open
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock to connect to the database.

I've been fixing the problem with

  chgrp mysql /var/run/mysqld
  chmod 775 /var/run/mysqld

but (1) is that the safe and correct thing to do and (2) if it is,
how can I get dapper to do that by default when it boots?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh.com> | It is a general error to imagine the