Server comments

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:41:18 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) <JimBodkins at yahoo.com> wrote:
>    Interesting idea actually. I like many that have responded, would hate to
> see the base server install go away. I dont understand why the approach used
> by RHEL or FC4 wasnt used. It isnt perfect but will allow just about
> anything to be installed at the time the system is 'built' rather than
> later.
>
>    Wait, I know the answer. Ubuntu is a 'desktop' distro, and probably the
> best. It is probably the case that people are finding ubuntu usefull beyond
> the desktop. We are. (As a better debian.)

It's a case of... "Ubuntu is a one CD distro".

More options = more space needed = not available when CD is already full.

Plus, more options = more complexity = not necessarily better =
excludes potential users[1].

[1] And, it might alienate (disenfranchise, even [2]) users without
actually offering anything in return.

[2] Hmm. Perhaps the language around making GNU/Linux accessible to
more users ought to _explicitly_ involve acknowledging the notion of
'enfranchisement'? Yeah, I guess it's a little bit weird since the
ability to own and operate a computer is an elite ability itself, but,
given that software is usually more expensive than the computer
hardware itself, having freely available, and USABLE software would
still be considered within the realm of enfranchising (giving
self-determination) people.

Eric.