OTT samba users query

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:26:39 UTC 2006

I believe this is generally because it is inconvenient to authenticate
from windows with one password, and then log on to the linux machine
as the same user but with a different password.  smb.conf provides
directives for keeping the passwords synced.

Once the authentication against samba has been performed, I do not
think that samba then performs further authentication against the
linux user accounts.   I could be wrong but I do not believe that that
Samba's password and the password for the equivalent linux users need
be synced.  Your anecdotal evidence seems to confirm this.  I
generally keep mine synced however.