Can't find codec for AVI file

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:19:55 UTC 2006

I haven't messed with the automatix thing.  It's quite popular though.
 My understanding is that it's a tool that automates installation and
configuration of things that have been documented in some of the
Ubuntu FAQs and guides.

My preference is just to do things with the package manager--but
that's just personal.

Marillat repositories are third party repositories for debian.  The
emphasis, i believe, is on multimedia type stuff, and they usually
have packages that may run afoul of DMCA, patents, copyrights and
other such things, making them inelegible for inclusion in Debian's or
Ubuntu's repositories.

>From the marillat homepage, http://hpisi.nerim.net/ :

Add in your /etc/apt/sources.list for stable
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
Add in your /etc/apt/sources.list for testing
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main
Add in your /etc/apt/sources.list for unstable
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

For breezy, I usually go with sarge, then testing, if necessary, and
finally sid.  I keep these in my sources.list, but *commented out*
until I need them.  You dont' want to arbitrarily updating against
third party repositories.

One note is that these repositories are compiled to work with Debian.
As Ubuntu Ubuntu gets more and more out of sync with debian, sometimes
it get harder to add these packages.

When you disable the marillat repositories, any packages added from
them will show up in the local/obsolete section of synaptic.  From
there they can easily be singled out and removed, leaving you with
your orignal Ubuntu-only system.