Server comments

Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) JimBodkins at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 18:30:27 UTC 2006

... as a person that prefers debian distros, I adore ubuntu. I dont care
much for the "we'll protect you from yourself" attitude, but I can get
around that. (sudo is an example of that. I need a root --- I fixed that).

   My real problem is with the server install. Come on guys. Are you
serious? What you call a server install, stopped being useful ten years ago.
Contemporary servers require desktops and more. (I am more than capable of
admining a server from a command line. But a credible and 'deployed' server
needs admining by others, not just me)

   Please modify the meaning of server to include not only common services
(possibly configurable - things like samba, ldap, email, ltsp etc) but also
a desktop. Dont make a server install compatible with computers that you
have in your closet (old, no longer useful systems). Servers should be well
configured. I know you can do with less. But if that is your target, you
will - oddly - restrict the use of ubuntu as a server.

   To repeat, I love ubuntu. But I just cant take your server install
seriously to be honest.

Jim
P.S.
I have used/admined etc everything from the original BSD's (on PDP-11's) to
Suns (solaris).