Helpdesk system

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:20:41 UTC 2006

After getting Linux in use where I work for the gateway and proxy, and
Nagios reporting our systems status I have been asked to set up a
helpdesk system and would like to use an oss solution. Specifically
the features required are:

1. Automatically book on new help requests. - The user sends and
email, the request is logged, the IT department (4 people) are
informed and the user given a reference.

2. Possibly include auditing of PCs so that the hardware and software
is known with the request. (We currently use OCS Inventory for this
but could change no problem)

3. Shedule tasks for the IT workers. - Create todo lists and prioritise requests

4. Allow closing of tickets by IT users

5. Reporting of activity. - Show how much time has been spent on each
task / hd request to identify problems that need more people or
resources on it.

My first thought was for a bugzilla or Malone type system but do these
have the backend reporting ability so we can see how much time is
spent on each problem? and are there any auditing tools / plugins for
them to mach the hardware and software to the ticket?

Any advice would be apreciated.

Tom