How do I find out what to do when my username and passwd for Ubuntu graphic interface signon won't work...after several attempts??????(just completed installation)

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 03:05:53 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Rhonda Bullard <rlb9212003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> p-lease help....I am a newbie.

The wiki has a page about lost passwords:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LostPassword

The Standard Way

/!\ This procedure gives you a full root shell! You can damage your
system if you are not careful!

    *      When booting up press ESC at the grub prompt.
    *      Use the arrow keys to select the rescue mode option and press enter.

      This will boot the system in rescue mode and you should arrive
at a prompt to either enter the root password, or press ctrl-d. There
is no root password by default in ubuntu, so just press enter and you
will be logged in as root.
    *
    *  Now you can reset your password with: passwd <username>
    *  You can than switch back to the normal GUI mode: init 2

--
Daniel Robitaille