PS/2 Mouse not detected on Compaq Presario 1800T

Sebastien thecrab at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:13:40 UTC 2006

This is my very first time using Linux, and Ubuntu is fantastic!  I can't
believe how easy it is.

Well, except for getting my mouse to work.

I have a touchpad built into this Compaq Presario 1800T, and that works just
fine.  However, when I plug in my PS/2 mouse (just a plain old 2 button
generic one, nothing special), and turn on the computer, the mouse refuses
to work.  The touchpad continues to work wonderfully, but no go with the
normal mouse.

I tried connecting the mouse to another machine, and it works great.  I used
this very mouse back when I had Win2K installed (about four hours ago), and
it worked perfectly well on this Compaq.  So I know it's not the port, and I
know it's not the mouse.

Google searches yeilded lots of info on getting serial mice to work, but
everyone seems to just have their PS/2 mice work right off the bat, no
special setup required.

Can anyone suggest anything regarding how to get this, my one and only
glitch with Ubuntu, fixed?

Thanks!