How to create a custom install CD for a DNS appliance, "Powered by Ubuntu"

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Feb 15 15:24:35 UTC 2006

Karl Auer wrote:
>>>Take a look at Mondo Rescue (www.mondorescue.org). It's a backup system,
>>>but one of its features is the ability to make a set of ISO images that
>>>can be used to do a bare metal restore.
>

>>The problem with that is it is unlikely to work if the target hardware
>>is not identical to the source hardware and/or configuration.
>

> He's talking appliance - so he specifies the hardware too.
>
> And Mondo can handle quite a lot of on-the-fly changes, it depends on
> how different the target is to the original.

That may be true, but I'm a big believer in using the right tool for the
job.  The right tool for the job is to create a preseeded install media.
That media could be CD, DVD, or network.  I don't recall where the info
is, but Ubuntu has specific howto's for *mass* deployment techniques.

I personally am using a completely hands-off network based mass
deployment method to make 64 boxes/hour.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown