Print Sharing with Ubuntu

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 14 02:26:15 UTC 2006

Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have one System Ubuntu-Hoary acting as Printserver and a Client Ubuntu
> Breezy acting as Client. What do have to do to print from the client
> over the net? (The cups-doku on the systems says: "do nothing" - that
> seems to be wrong.
>
> TIA, Ingo.

You need to add some lines to the CUPS config file.
In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Change
Listen 127.0.0.1:631 to Port 631

and Add
Allow From 192.168.1.*
using your local network ip structure

After you change that restart the cups server
$sudo  /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

to confirm that your printer is listening and can be seen by your client
  use nmap *ip address of the server* if you see port 631 then your good
to connect.

Alex