Password three times with ssh

Jan Moren jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Tue Feb 14 00:52:14 UTC 2006

I have a port forward command I frequently run to get my email:

sudo ssh -N -L 110:pop.computer.se:110 name at other.computer.se

For some reason I can't fathom, this _always_ asks for my own local
password /the user password you supply to sudo) three times before it
gets to asking for the non-local password. Always three times (and it's
not incorrect entry; if I enter it incorrectly I have to start over):

Password:
Password:
Password:
name at other.computer.se's password:

It seems no matter what I try (including setting the suid bit on ssh),
this continues to happen. A minor thing to be sure, but since I run this
every day, it's becoming a major irritant.

Would anyone by any chance have a clue why sudo (I guess it's sudo) asks
for it repeatedly - and more to the point, making it stop?

--
Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
Japan:  090-3622 8920           jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Sweden: 031-360 7723            http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren