I upgraded my Dapper and imagine my surprise...

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Feb 13 14:07:07 UTC 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 17:21 +0000, paul cooke wrote:
>> >
>> > There are many, many people who bought their PCs for doing real work
>> and
>> > don't care about the lack of hardware accelerated 3D - they would
>> rather
>> > run a truly free software OS than install proprietary drivers.
>>
>> troll alert...
>
> Come on dude, I'm not trolling, I'm just saying if you don't play games
> then it's better to not install the proprietary nvidia driver, and have
> a 100% free software OS.  Only an Nvidia fanboy would cinsider that a
> troll.

Sure you are.  Just because we hang out on a Linux mailing list is no reason
to expect that we all share your religious view of Linux/Ubuntu.  I fully
agree with you that large numbers of Linux users don't care about hardware
accelerated 3D, but I'd also bet that any survey of the Ubuntu base would
show that less than a majority care about "Free as in Speech" and are only
concerned about "Free as in Beer".  Since the _vast_ majority of Ubuntu
users (and other Debian derived distros) only ever install binary packages,
anyway, most of them would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between
the nv and nvidia drivers except by performance.

Personally, I use Free software when possible, but I'll buy commercial
software and even run it on Windows if that's what it takes to get the job
done.
--
derek