configuring apt/installing local files

Sasha Tsykin psychosushi at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 12 20:33:35 UTC 2006

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I am switching from an rpm based distro.  I'm used to downloading rpm files
> locally and then installing them from command line.
>
> I downloaded a deb file for the opera browser and added the following to the
> apt sources.list file
>
> deb file:<directory containing deb> local universe
>
> When I searched for opera in Adept it doesn't appear.
>
> How do I install a deb file that isn't in a standard repository?
> Paul

The repositories do not work like that, you need to form actually lists
of the programs etc. Far easier is to go to the directory where the
package is and type sudo dpkg -i <packagename> Apt-get can only fetch
files from actual repositories. Incidentally, before installing anything
from apt-get, you need to update it (sudo apt-get update) so it has the
latest package lists.

Sasha