Is Ubuntu giving up on the PPC platform?

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sun Feb 12 18:23:25 UTC 2006

On 12. feb 2006, at 19.04, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 2/12/06, Brian Durant <RoadTripDK at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to get yaboot to boot
>> default into OS X yet. I tried "default=macosx", but no luck.
>>
>> With regards to the kernel issue, I see two possibilities as I
>> believe we have talked about before:
>
> Brian, IIRC that's exactly what you're supposed to do to get yaboot
> booting to Mac OS X automagically.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Yaboot totally freaked and refused to
boot into either OS X or Kubuntu. Holding the option key (alt) down
at boot, I could get into OS X, but OpenFirmware totally refused to
boot Kubuntu after the one line change. I ended up having to boot
from a Kubuntu PPC Dapper Flight 3 live CD, mount the Kubuntu
partition, change yaboot.conf back to the way it had been (no
"default=macosx" line) and then run ybin -v with the full path name.

> Most redundant question in the world (since you already posted that
> you used sudo ybin -v)...

See above. That is why I am posting it again.

> Did you run sudo ybin -v after updating your yaboot.conf file with
> the line:
> default=macosx
> (no quotes)?
>
> Eric.