What's with these files with a tilde (~) at the end?

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sun Feb 12 11:42:29 UTC 2006

Ubuntu Users,

    It seems that various programs, like Gedit and Quanta and others,
when they edit text files, like regular text and HTML files, create
these backup files that have a tilde character on the end. They look
like this:
    examplefile.txt~

    These files don't show up when I view a directory in Gnome/Nautilus,
nor when I run ls from a command prompt.

    But they show up when I browse directories in some applications,
like gFTP or Amarok.

    These files are annoying because, say, in gFTP, after I've edited
some HTML files, I have two of each one, and I have to ctrl+click every
second file to send the real ones.

    Today I noticed when I selected in FireFox to download a file to my
desktop, there were almost a dozen of these files there on the Desktop
as viewed through FireFox, even though they don't show up on the Desktop
itself.

    Why are these applications creating these files with tildes at the
end, how do I get rid of them, and can I stop them from being
automatically created in the first place?

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Thank you.

--
Dave M G