Something's up after heimdal security update on Hoary.

Henry Lenzi henry.lenzi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 05:11:54 UTC 2006

Hey folks --

 Today (2006-02-12), after my daily Hoary update, with heimdal
updates, something came up. System began to freeze after a period of
inactivity - yep, you heard that right, freeze, not even a terminal -
and I started getting funny GPG signing errors:

 W: GPG error: http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security Release: The
following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu
Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster at ubuntu.com>

 In researching a possible upgrade, I found, curiously, on this page

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyUpgrade

 a dude reporting "=== GPG Error I get "W: GPG error:
http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com hoary-updates Release: The following
signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive
Automatic Signing Key < ftpmaster at ubuntu.com>" after changing the
sources as described above.

To get rid of the gpg error I had to change 4 occurences of hoary to
breezy: two for 'main restricted' and two for 'breezy-updates'.
Leaving cdrom, universe, and security as hoary elicits no complaint,"

 I though it was weird, weird, weird.

 Any thoughts on this? Anybody wanna report funny little things that
go bump in the night, too? What's up? Devs? Where are you? Help!

 TIA.