udev permission problem - dvd-ram mounts only read/writeable for root

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 04:07:44 UTC 2006

> Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 02:25:01 +0100
> From: Michael Vert <vmike at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: udev permission problem - dvd-ram mounts only
>        read/writeable for root
> To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Ok... a few hours later, and a few how-to's smarter ... :-)
>
> The culprit isn't udev. Udev is doing everything as it is supposed to...
>
> The problem is the gnome-volume-manager.... and in its wake: pmount
>
> I was wondering, why can I access my USB stick without problems, but not
> the USB DVD writer.
>
> The answer is simple:
> The DVD writer was plugged during boot, while I plugged in my USB stick
> while I was logged in and running the desktop.
>
> In the first case, root is running the mounts, thus creating a link in
> /media which only root can access; while in the second case, the volume
> manger was running with my user ID, the link get my ID, and I can access
> it as normal user.
>
> Is there a way to fine tune the automount process?

Hi Michael!

I am still "getting my feet wet" and this could be a bit of a distraction.
Please take a look at:

man 5 console.perms

And what is in the directory:

ls /etc/security/console.perms.d -l

Which you can probably see by:

less /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms

I have not experimented with these yet (but probably will when I get my CDRW
back from a friend).

Good Hunting!

Tod