Is Ubuntu giving up on the PPC platform?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Feb 11 20:51:36 UTC 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:34:59 +0100
Brian Durant <RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com> wrote:

> I have seen a number of postings about resources for PowerPC users
> that have been pulled, there is no PPC Ubuntu list and it seems
> almost impossible to find any PPC Ubuntu/Kubuntu users on this list.

There are a few. I have an iBook running Ubuntu 5.10, for instance.

> I can see that development of Dapper is continuing apace, but as long
> as there isn't a resolution for the thermal and fan control issues
> for G5 single towers (like mine), iMac G5 and G5 tower multi-
> processor systems, I am starting to wonder if the PPC platform is
> still considered viable for Ubuntu since Apple's switch to Intel?

As far as I know, there's no change.

> Is
> there a serious effort being made to continue PPC development, or are
> we orphans now?

Several developers use ppc and I'm sure they are continuing to work hard
on PPC :-)

> As far as I can see, from his e-mails on debian-
> powerpc at lists.debian.org, benh at kernel.crashing.org seems to think
> that they have the problem more or less sussed (for my G5 tower
> anyway), yet there doesn't seem to be a kernel update for Breezy yet
> and Dapper still has the same problem with thermal control.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, since I don't know about G5, but you
might look at

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/27269

and perhaps search Launchpad for other G5 bugs?

> I am not
> trying to be irritating, I'm just trying to get a straight answer. So
> far I just keep getting the echo of my own voice.

Well, perhaps no one knows the answer, on this list at least...

Peter