Is Ubuntu giving up on the PPC platform?

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sat Feb 11 16:34:59 UTC 2006

I have seen a number of postings about resources for PowerPC users
that have been pulled, there is no PPC Ubuntu list and it seems
almost impossible to find any PPC Ubuntu/Kubuntu users on this list.
I can see that development of Dapper is continuing apace, but as long
as there isn't a resolution for the thermal and fan control issues
for G5 single towers (like mine), iMac G5 and G5 tower multi-
processor systems, I am starting to wonder if the PPC platform is
still considered viable for Ubuntu since Apple's switch to Intel? Is
there a serious effort being made to continue PPC development, or are
we orphans now? As far as I can see, from his e-mails on debian-
powerpc at lists.debian.org, benh at kernel.crashing.org seems to think
that they have the problem more or less sussed (for my G5 tower
anyway), yet there doesn't seem to be a kernel update for Breezy yet
and Dapper still has the same problem with thermal control. I am not
trying to be irritating, I'm just trying to get a straight answer. So
far I just keep getting the echo of my own voice.

Cheers,

Brian