MTA issues.

Robert Slade ubtu at bathnetworks.com
Fri Feb 10 20:00:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 17:57 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> Evolution's handling of junk mail is pathetic.  (No "ham" learning,
> for example, and its way of deciding what's spam or not seems to ...
> lack.)  As a result I'd like to set up a mail daemon of some kind --
> preferably one compatible with SpamBayes or the like -- that collects
> my mail for me for later spam processing leaving Evolution merely in
> the role of displaying and sending email on my behalf.  How would I go
> about doing all this?  I tried fetchmail but can't figure out even the
> basics of getting it to work.  (Fetchmailconf made things worse, not
> better, in this regard.  To be polite it doesn't conform to GNOME HIG
> at all....)
>
> Is there an MTA available that doesn't require me to spend hours and
> hours of decoding "docs" to set up?
>
> --
> Michael T. Richter
> Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
> MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
> michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
> mtr1966 at jabber.cn

Michael,

The sort answer is no. If you use fetchmail that will download from a
pop3 or imap box and hand off to your MTA - Ubuntu has postfix
installed. Postfix is not too difficult to setup to handle mail. To deal
with spam I suggest spamassassin , it does have a Bayses capability and
a learning one too. You will need to pass the mail trough it before
delivering to the mailboxes. I would also suggest Clamav for virus
checking.

I actually run a mail server (QMAIL) on a different machine - in my case
I set it up as per this http://www.qmailrocks.org/

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Rob