1 Gigabyte SD card "full" after 467 MB

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Fri Feb 10 03:25:28 UTC 2006

>>Um, it's not really a 1Gb card? Take it back...

If that were the case, then I don't think Ubuntu would think there was
extra space. When I click "properties", it shows about 469 remaining MB
of free space.

>>I suppose it could be some weird formatting thing - are you placing very
>>many very small files on it? It could be the blocking factor or
>>something.

An issue like this seems logical to me. But can I diagnose it precisely?

>Ahhh that reminds me, I remember seeing "!gig flip" cards.. they had
>512mb on each side and to get the other 512 mb you had to take it out
>and turn it over.. you don't have one of those?

The SD card has a notch in one corner preventing it from being inserted
the "wrong" way around. A "flip" card would have to have a corner notch
on both sides in order to be able to go in the card reader. This card
has only one notch on one side.

--
Dave M G