the "Your $HOME/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions" story

Joyce Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Thu Feb 9 22:49:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:11:05 -0500
Phillip Susi <psusi at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> This message has been annoying me on dapper lately too.  I guess I'll
> have to check those permissions when I get home.
>
> albi wrote:
> >
> > on a few breezy-installations the following error appears :
> >
> > "Your $HOME/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions and is being ignored.
> > This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File
> > should be owned by user and have 644 permissions."
> >
> > this is however complete nonsense because the file has already 644
> > permissions (and if you remove ~/.dmrc, then it still complains)
> >
> > looking at this :
> > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t27048.html
> >
> > i just found out that this error indeed stops showing up after changing
> > my home-dir permissions to 755, however changing it to 751 does *not*
> > stop this error-message showing up :-(
> >
> > i find this a completely unacceptable way of encouraging 755 permissions
> > on home-dirs in a network
> >
> > ...is there another work-around ?
I'm not sure what you want. 751 would be a nonsense. Have access to all but not be able to read,
or even write, what for ? did you try 700 permissions ? 750 ? then it would have (more) sense, and you'd
be as user the only one that can do all in this file, including destroy it if you decide it. (and as belonging to your group, a little less if the '5' applies for the group.
In my system, it's 755. I'm not on an enterprise network, although.
Greetings, Joyce Markoll.