Open Source Speech Recognition

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Thu Feb 9 17:28:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 20:26 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > Alternatively, anyone know of a "Dragon Naturally Speaking" port to
> > *nix or an app that achieves the same effects in OOO and (say)
> > Firefox?

There are speech synthesizer support packages in Ubuntu / Debian Linux,
but no speech to text as far as I know of.  There is Open Source work in
that area, but AFAIK, it is not fully developed yet.  It should be.

A Google search for "open source speech recognition" turns up a number
of hits.  Perhaps the most interesting of them is the CMU Sphinx
project:

  http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/html/cmusphinx.php

I hope that somebody develops this into a usable desktop component in
the near future.  It would be awesome if I could dump an audio file from
my digital recorder onto the desktop, and have it turned into a text
file, OpenOffice.org, TeXmacs, or LaTeX document.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>