SOLVED: Re: (Dapper) Confusion = hybrid GNOME & KDE

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 14:11:44 UTC 2006

Amusingly, the SAME problem also exists in KDE!

When I fire up KDE I don't get the GNOME application menu, BUT,
Nautilus is used for some operations when you'd expect Konqueror to!

Likewise, some apps that are opened seem to adopt a very strange user
interface (very small text) -- it is those apps that seem to be
GNOMEish in KDE. For example, I installed VLC player (I wanted to play
MPEGs on my PPC Mac... couldn't make much sense of the restricted
formats Ubuntu wiki so I simply installed the tried-tested-and-true
poison that I know works under OS X... there didn't seem to be a
gstreamer application in Synaptic, just a myriad of plugins _for_ the
gstreamer application).

Anyway, I think I'll leave the bug as is (i.e. not removing System -
Prefs - Sessions - Startup Programs stuff) and see if it gets fixed in
an update.

If the problem persists I'll post a bug report (I was lazy that way
too when Breezy was in beta... I'd wait a few days to see if the
problem "went away" but if it didn't then I'd make the bug report).

Eric.