ckermit won't install

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 9 10:19:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:42:25 -0700
Tom Smith <tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to install ckermit in to Ubuntu 5.10. I've uncommented the
> sources and configured preferences to allow this but apt* is unable to
> locate ckermit, despite being able to locate other software in the same
> Component (multiverse). Here are my config files:
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted

[big snip]

> /etc/apt/preferences:
> Explanation: Default rule to disallow all "universe" packages. ##Comment: Why?
> Package: *
> Pin: release c=universe
> Pin-Priority: -10
>
> Explanation: Tool to manage boot-up services.
> Package: bum
> Pin: release c=universe
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Explanation: Default rule to disallow all "multiverse" packages. << ## Umm, ckermit is in multiverse!
> Package: *
> Pin: release c=multiverse
> Pin-Priority: -10
>
> Explanation: c-kermit... Do I need to say more?  << But above this you pin multiverse at 10: now you pin it *again*at 900 ??

> Package: ckermit
> Pin: release c=multiverse
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this isn't work as (I) would
> expect it? Pointers to docs would also be great.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> ~ Tom

I don't understand all the pinning you are doing to install this (maybe
I've missed the point somehow?)  See my output below, with an apt
sources.list containing main, universe, and multiverse, and no pinning at
all. I'm running 5.10

 $ sudo apt-get install ckermit
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  libsocksd
  ckermit libsocksd
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1688kB of archives.
After unpacking 3285kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

##########Comment: Seems to be there...

peter at prospero:~ $ apt-cache policy libsocksd
libsocksd:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.1.14-2
  Version table:
     1.1.14-2 0
        500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/universe Packages

####Comment: So the dependency above is in the universe repo, which you appear to be doing your best to disable ;-) Also the package you want is in the multiverse repo, which again you don't want to know about for some reason...

peter at prospero:~ $ apt-cache depends ckermit
ckermit
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libncurses5
  Depends: libpam0g
  Depends: libsocksd
  PreDepends: debconf
 |Recommends: ssh
    ssh-krb5
  Recommends: ssh-krb5

I can't see why a bog standard apt config wouldn't work to install
ckermit, with main, universe and multiverse all enabled.

Hope this clears some things up, rather than confusing the issue.

Peter