[Breezy] "top" versus "gkrellm" - disparity in process numbers?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 8 20:52:58 UTC 2006

I've noticed, both in Hoary and Breezy (possibly in Warty as well but I
can't remember), that when I have gkrellm running it reports a far higher
number of processes then does "top" in a terminal.

For example currently "top" reports

Tasks:  96 total,   2 running,  94 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

while gkrellm claims I have 150 processes .

Not a big deal ... but I'm curious as to why this happens - does anyone
know how gkrellm and top respectively measure the number of processes?

I used to run Debian on this machine, and gkrellm reported more or less the
same numbers as "top". (This was 2004 and before) I notice that the
correspondence is closer soon after a boot, although a discrepancy is
there right from the start, so I'm guessing gkrellm is reporting processes
that spawn over a period, that "top" does not "see". Some kind of "policy"
difference in the way the processes are reported?

Anyone who can confirm, or explain ? I realise that a gkrellm list might
be a better place to ask - just trying here first :-)

Peter