"unable to get exclusive lock" , how to cure ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Feb 8 02:41:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 02:08 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> I don't know how the lock is implemented currently, but I vaguely
> remember old posts about some file in /var/something, that simply needed
> to be deleted by hand. Of course, I can't remember the name of that
> file, nor the exact path...

Ah, sussed it. I never read the forums, but since they archive this
list, I gave their search engine a try, good move, it quickly found that
old post I was remembering. Old it was (10 months back), and it fixed
the problem.

I just had to kill the instance of the crash gnome-app-install, and
delete the file at  /var/lib/dpkg/lock.

That did it... :-)

--
Vince