Mldonkey too old? LowID?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Wed Feb 8 02:23:21 UTC 2006

On 2/8/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see someone do a speed test vs. Limewire.  I can't imagine
> anything being faster - gtk-gnutella always maxes out my DSL @350KB/sec,
> if the file is available from enough hosts...

My guess is that d/l performance doesn't greatly differ between the
two; p2p performance bottlenecks are probably not so much in the app
itself as in the network as a whole. That being said, I believe the
free version of LimeWire can't swarm from as many hosts as the Pro
version, hence d/ls tend to be a little slower with the former. Gtkg
probably doesn't have that limitation.

From what I've read in disucussions in various p2p forums, the
Gnutella community -- notably the fulltime staff of LimeWire devs --
spent a lot of effort over the past year or two optimizing the
Gnutella network protocol to make downloads *really* fast. Personally,
I find more interesting files on ed2k and even OpenNap, but nothing
beats the speed of Gnutella.

Alas, the recent SCOTUS ruling against p2p developers appears to have
taken the wind out of LimeWire's sails, and the future of its fulltime
employees is up in the air; inevitably this will put a damper on
further development of Gnutella, as LimeWire was the driving force
behind it. Whether or not one uses the LimeWire program, this is
unfortunate news.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam