"unable to get exclusive lock" , how to cure ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Feb 8 01:08:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

I updated Dapper 10 minutes ago to have a look at the new version of
Gnome-app-install. It has a new UI and looks great. But it crashed long
before I had time to click on anything in it...

Problem : It won't start anymore, saying : "Unable to get exclusive
lock".

I don't have Synaptic or apt-get or anything like that running, so it
should be able to get a lock and start. I guess the crash screwed things
up.

I don't know how the lock is implemented currently, but I vaguely
remember old posts about some file in /var/something, that simply needed
to be deleted by hand. Of course, I can't remember the name of that
file, nor the exact path...

Can someone remind me how to release the lock manually, so that
gnome-app-install can start again and I can resume testing it ?

Thanks much in advance ! :-)

--
Vince