What modems work with Ubuntu?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Feb 7 16:09:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 08:50 +0200, Billy Verreynne (JW) wrote:
>         Lee Revell wrote:
>
>         > You make it sound like "tainted" is some trivial legalistic
>         > thing - it's not, it means the kernel is impossible to
>         debug.
>
>         If I have to debug kernels Lee, I will be in deep poo. Not
>         just
>         technically, but operationally. The corporate mission critical
>         thing... :-)
>
>         What we do inists on and get, is certified binaries from the
>         vendors
>         for that specific kernel version. If it does not work, then
>         they carry
>         the can. Not us. Which makes our management happy as it is
>         about risk
>         management to them.

I guess that's your choice.  Most people I know would fire a project
manager if they instructed them to spec out systems for a Linux app and
they came back to me with something that required a binary only driver.

Most of the companies that ship binary only drivers don't even do it for
IP reasons, it's either to conceal patent infringement or hide the
crappiness of their code.  If you have something to hide I'm not
touching your hardware with a 10 foot pole.

For desktop stuff, whatever, but for a mission critical server, no way.
Why would I trust my company to some vendor that doesn't even understand
that open source makes a more stable system?

Lee