Dell Dimension E510 (aka Dimension 5150n), ATI Radeon X600, & Ubuntu

Randy W. Sims randys at thepierianspring.org
Tue Feb 7 10:23:56 UTC 2006

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 18:16 -0500, Randy W. Sims wrote:
>
>>I'd still prefer Ubuntu, if anyone can help with getting this ATI
>>X600
>>card working. I guess I could also ask over on debian-user, and maybe
>>look for a xorg list...
>>
>>Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>>

> You could try a newer release like Dapper.  Does it work at all without
> the binary ATI drivers?
>
> The problem is that hardware changes so fast, and it gets faster every
> year.  It might just be that your hardware is too new for the distro you
> tried to install.
>
> Best bet is try to google for whether anyone else has had luck with that
> laptop...

I guess I never tried the ubuntu ATI drivers because they do work. I
started over. This time, after googling some more, I was able to get it
working simply with

sudo aptitude install xorg-driver-fglrx # the fglrx name threw me off here
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That's all. Now if I can just get someone to remove my head from the wall...

Sorry to waste your time; I should have done better research (usually
always works).

Thanks (from my working Ubuntu desktop)

Randy.