reinstalling grub

Ninad Bapat freeninad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 08:54:08 UTC 2006

Hi

I have 2 hard drives installed and I have WinXP, Slackware,FC3 on hda1 and
Ubuntu,Kanotix on hdb
Recently Windows XP started giving some errors. For e.g whenever an
application(Excel,firefox etc) was opened I got a popup message
"Windows-Corrupt file C/WINDOWS/prefetch/xxxx.pf is corrupt and unreadable
please run chkdsk"
The application then would continue to run without any problems. Especially
firefox always gave errors and all the files in profiles/mozilla went
corrupt. I could not access my bookmarks and history.
When I attempted to do chkdsk It complained that the File System is RAW and
chkdsk does not support such filesystem.
I tried to repair this XP installation by booting from the XP CD. Here also
setup complained that C: is corrupt and cannot be repaired.
So I tried to install XP again. Here when I select the option to install
setup automatically selects my D drive (extended partition) and when I
change it to C and select delete and proceed to install new it does not ask
for any formatting option and gives the same error above.
Now after all this exercise my Grub menu has been wiped off and now when I
start my computer I get 2 options
1. Win XP professional
2. Win XP professional Setup.

When I boot into Windows my display has become 640x480 and this cannot be
changed.

How do I restore Grub to atleast boot into Linux. Grub was installed when
Ubuntu was installed

Thanks
Ninad