What modems work with Ubuntu?

Dana J. Laude kc9aae at bresnan.net
Tue Feb 7 06:35:53 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 21:46, Chanchao wrote:

> I worry that things like Bluetooth are sexy enough for
> developers to do the work, whereas most developers (who are in
> the Western world) have moved on beyond dial-up modems and are
> all connected on cable or DSL or other high bandwidth
> connections.  So nobody is worrying about dial-up modems
> anymore, but I'm signaling that it's an issue for the
> acceptance of Ubuntu in out of the way places.

Ok, I've "kinda" followed this thread and modems have worked
just fine under linux since like ... ever.  Buy a "external"
modem, check out eBay and grab a USRobotics HST varmit.

Most people here don't remember all the bs you had to go
though to get a modem working even under DOS, so don't
bash Ubuntu.  Do you happen to know what a init string is,
or how to disable call waiting, or if you require a 9 to access
a outside line?  Just a few examples to dial-up. Wvdial is a
great program to setup you modem.  In addition, minicom
allows you to set you're init string to the modem. A example
would be something like: AT&C1&D2S0=0S2=255&W etc.

Dana