What modems work with Ubuntu?

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Tue Feb 7 04:00:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 14:29 +0200, Billy Verreynne (JW) wrote:

> > Again , see above. "Oh, thanks for giving me a computer, but please
> > take it back, and give me one that has all hardware supported by
> > Linux".
>
> Yes. Either that or else select another o/s as Linux/Ubuntu is -not-
> the correct choice for an operating system for that platform.

Okay, let me spell it out one more time: I spent an hour walking past
about 20 computer shops that all sell hardware, but when it comes to
modems all I found were Chinese/Taiwanese softmodems/winmodems that cost
about $10, if that.   (Don't really mind what they cost, but from the
shop's point of view, not a whole lot of people are going to buy a
$50-$100 serial port modem when nearly everyone uses (a pirated copy of)
Windows and a $10 modem (or one included on the mainboard) will connect
them to the Internet.

> If you, the consumer, do not like it, then -you- have the
> power to not buy that product. Last time I looked we were
> still living in the free and capatalistic world.

"Proper hardware" is getting hard to find! It's not just ignorant
people, I'm actually looking to buy proper hardware and so far haven't
found it where I live.  I'm actually going to be checking second hand
hardware dump markets now, I'd say that's serious commitment.  Soon,
even those places won't have 'proper hardware' for sale anymore.

> Or do you insist that Linux should run on a Walmart toaster too?

You're in SO much trouble with the analogy police now. :)  I thought the
petrol vs diesel thing was out there, but you just keep taunting them.

[On a frivolous side note, you remind me of this Dilbert cartoon:

http://dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20060122.html ]

> Chancao implied that this is on the part of Linux. Implying in anyway
> that this a Linux problem?

It's a problem faced by the users yes.  You're telling them to go away
and go use windows/apple etc. While that is indeed a solution, I don't
think that's in line with Ubuntu's mission statement.

Again, I don't BLAME Linux/Ubuntu for it, I'm RECOGNIZING this as a
serious issue that's only going to become a bigger and bigger obstacle
to successfully using Ubuntu.

Let ME tempt the analogy police: Suppose you're an electric razor
manufacturer and your razors are charged on 110V.  You find that people
in Europe aren't buying your product because they can't charge on 220V.
"Well, that's not my problem!!", said the razor CEO, "It clearly states
on the box that it requires 110V, so by all means people can go find
their own charger, or they can go use a different brand of razor!"  No
problem, right? :)

That's only not a problem when you don't care if people (can) use your
product or not.   Indeed I can't find a fault in that logic. :)

> Or is this yet another case where 2 + 2 equals 5 for very large
> quantities of 2?

[Analogy-policeman getting his tazer gun out of his pocket and moving in
your direction... ]

Cheers,
Chanchao