Three issues: .dmrc, wireless networking, and NetFlix previews

Sebastien ESTIENNE sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 01:01:24 UTC 2006

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

> I've been running Ubuntu for a few months.  It has worked out quite well
> for me as a laptop operating system that handles most of what I want quite
> well.  This primarily involves USENET, email, web, Java development, and
> some Mathematica (I'm really just getting started with this).  I only have
> a few problems with it right now.
>
> I get a message about the .dmrc file having the wrong permissions every
> time I log in.  I've tried setting the .dmrc file to the correct
> permissions (as stated in the message), deleting it entirely, and copying
> it from another user on the box that doesn't have this problem (and
> changing ownership and permissions appropriately), but none of these have
> solved the problem.  This is a minor annoyance, but I would like it to
> work correctly.
>
> Every time I go to a cafe and use my wireless card by switching from
> "Home" to "Cafe" in the wireless applet I still have to set the
> configuration for "Cafe".  It doesn't seem to remember what I had it set
> to previously.  Worse, when I set it to "Cafe", I lose my WEP key for when
> I want it connected to home.  I would like to be able to easily switch
> back and forth.  This has been a hassle in the past.  Now I just keep my
> home WEP key in a file on the desktop and copy it back into the
> configuration, but this isn't ideal.  I've tried installing network
> manager and it tells me that my PCMCIA wireless card doesn't support
> scanning and that therefore it won't work well.

You should try to post these bugs report in launchpad.net or try
googling a bit, i found some references about your dmrc issue looking
for "linux dmrc"

> Last, I can't seem to view some videos on my box.  The example that is
> most annoying is the video provided by NetFlix for previewing movies.  I
> would like this to work, but it isn't a show stopper.  I guess none of
> these are.

about your videos issue, i'm personnaly using the package
mozilla-mplayer instead of totem to play video in firefox
  plus the package w32codecs from http://wiki.ubuntu-fr.org/doc/plf

i didn't find a clean way to remove the totem firefox plugin (i didn't
look a lot)

so i just do this:
i remove *totem* from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins anf /usr/lib/netscape/plugins

there is certainly a cleaner way of doing this

after this you can restart firefox and go watching your videos :)

btw you can also use mplayer as a standalone player